EU To Charge Microsoft Over 2009 Browser Choice Breach
engine
11:12 am on Sep 27, 2012 (gmt 0)
EU regulators are preparing to charge Microsoft Corp for failing to comply with a 2009 ruling ordering it to offer users a choice of web browsers, the EU's antitrust chief said on Thursday.
"The next step is to open a formal proceeding into the company's breach of an agreement. We are working on this," EU Competition Commissioner Joaquin Almunia told reporters.
"It should not be a long investigation because the company itself explicitly recognized its breach of the agreement."reuters [reuters.com]
bill
4:46 am on Sep 28, 2012 (gmt 0)
Funny thing is that Microsoft had been out of compliance for quite some time...and nobody noticed. That entire browser selection tool was a bit of a farce.
webindia123
7:04 am on Sep 28, 2012 (gmt 0)
They are always late to react till the company reaps benefit of their mis-doings :)
- Lalit Kumar
TinkyWinky
8:07 am on Sep 28, 2012 (gmt 0)
With a falling browser share M$ on this one is a dead duck - the EU regulators have a lot more to worry about with G across Europe!
swa66
9:06 am on Sep 28, 2012 (gmt 0)
They broke the rules, they got fined, they agreed on a remedy, they failed to comply. Now it's time to make them pay.
What market share they have today is irrelevant, but they absolutely need to be punished as they did things far beyond what can be tolerated.
This needs to be done to control future players from ignoring the competition rules, so it needs to be significant enough to offset any potential gains.
piatkow
10:57 am on Sep 28, 2012 (gmt 0)
pour encourager les autres
np2003
6:02 am on Sep 29, 2012 (gmt 0)
All these governments seem to really, really hate IE. First it was the US government, now EU. Just look at what IE is today compared to the competition, hardly any feature updates.