Forum Moderators: goodroi

Message Too Old, No Replies

Viacom asks YouTube to take down 100,000 unauthorized video clips

couldn't reach agreement

         

walkman

5:48 pm on Feb 2, 2007 (gmt 0)



"Viacom said its videos, including clips from MTV, VHI, Comedy Central and Nickelodeon, had been streamed well over a billion times.

``YouTube and Google retain all of the revenue generated from this practice, without extending fair compensation to the people who have expended all of the effort and cost to create it,'' the statement said."
[mercurynews.com...]

For now, I can't say I blame Viacom. The question is: will they be back soon? Will G make enough on those streams to spread the $love?

Quadrille

11:01 pm on Feb 2, 2007 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Senior Member 10+ Year Member



Let's hope Google has the sense to say "Sorry about this, but Viacom insist"

Sure, it's really an argument about money. But both sides know that the marketing edge YouTube gives is worth a buck or two.

Good thing I watched all the viacom stuff I wanted to already!

photopassjapan

9:50 pm on Feb 2, 2007 (gmt 0)

10+ Year Member




System: The following message was spliced on to this thread from: http://www.webmasterworld.com/goog/3241316.htm [webmasterworld.com] by tedster - 6:03 pm on Feb. 2, 2007 (EST -5)


Wanted to see something on Yahoo search and this news post was up from Reuters... i don't know what to think about this as i don't know anything more about YouTube than that people hotlink our pics for backgrounds :P

No seriously... there's nothing to read into this news item. Very straightforward statements ;-)

Viacom Inc. on Friday demanded that Google Inc.'s online video service YouTube remove more than 100,000 video clips after they failed to reach a distribution agreement.

(...)

A YouTube spokeswoman said it would comply with the request and added, "It's unfortunate that Viacom will no longer be able to benefit from YouTube's passionate audience, which has helped to promote many of Viacom's shows." The company has historically removed clips at the request of copyright owners within hours.

[news.yahoo.com ]

walkman

12:37 am on Feb 3, 2007 (gmt 0)



it may also mean that Viacom is telling G not so fast, you cannot run us over and make the rules in your favor (i.e., flexing their muscle)

This is Viacom's only card to play.

Quadrille

1:10 am on Feb 3, 2007 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Senior Member 10+ Year Member



Looks like Google has made enough deals to believe they know what the 'market rate' is for video clips ... is this a Mexican standoff, or will they start talking again on Monday?

[edited by: Quadrille at 1:10 am (utc) on Feb. 3, 2007]

walkman

6:46 pm on Feb 21, 2007 (gmt 0)



Content providers not rolling over:
"YouTube deal with CBS unravels
A deal between Google and CBS to let YouTube users watch clips from shows such as The Late Show with David Letterman has unraveled, according to published reports...
...Media companies including Viacom, News Corp. and General Electric's NBC Universal have discussed launching their own joint competitor to YouTube, but industry sources have said earlier that differing interests have stalled plans."
[news.com.com...]

I think they feel that they got screwed by iTunes and they know that the first deal sets the standard for future negotiations.

bcolflesh

6:51 pm on Feb 21, 2007 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Senior Member 10+ Year Member



Note: Viacom just signed an exclusive deal with Joost:

[slyck.com...]